12 September, 2009

When Life Gives You Lemons....

This has been a lemon-y week for me. Literally. It consisted of my diving into the kitchen to create two new recipes that I discovered in Taste of Home -- Lemon Curd Cupcakes and Lemon Log Roll. One was a masterpiece. One was a complete disaster.

The cupcakes were exceptional, for my never having done such a thing before (that is, making filled cupcakes, along with making my own lemon curd filling). They were light, fluffy, sweet, lemon-packed, and delicately flavored.

The log flopped dismally. I had never done a cake roll before -- which, for those of you who don't know, consists of you actually having to roll a cake into a spiral. This led to nothing more than a sheer disaster of epic preportions. Needless to say, it broke. Badly. And I burned my first batch of lemon filling. Ew. Let's not talk about this one anymore.....

However, all of these lemon recipes and their varying results have drawn me into a bit of a theological moment. Bear with me.

Cooking is a bit like life. Okay, it's a lot like life. Particularily, my life.

In one sense, cooking is one of those things over which you have a certain degree of control. You measure out the ingredients, you decide what you're going to prepare, and you balace out everything with a certain measure of decisiveness that makes you the master of your kitchen and all within.

Then a pot boils over. Filling scourches. Cakes break. Milk spoils. You run out of batter amid a half-finished alfredo sauce. You slam your fingers in the trash can drawer and end up abandoning your cupcake curd in order to run into the ER for a potentially fracture finger.

Life looses control. I guess you can say that things that once seemed to be completely within your control...well, they explode epically. Which is how life has been for me recently.

At least I know that I have a great King in Heaven who has read the end of the Book and knows exactly how the finished product will turn out. Thank You, God, for that assurance.

With all this weddingplanning and the entire process, life has seemed to spin away from me at times. Planning a wedding isn't exactly one of the easiest things I've ever attempted. However, I know that when I walk down the aisle and see my beaming groom standing at the end, waiting for me, it will all fade away. I cannot wait for that day!

And I still know that my Heavenly Groom sees me, His flawed yet beloved Bride, and beams at me with all the love He possesses. I am His prize -- His masterpiece, His epically perfect cupcake! And that makes it all worth it in the end!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds quite familiar. Amid my busy weeks, I often have a hard time focusing on God, knowing that He is there, and will always see me through.

    As you may have noticed, my blog has been really neglected this year. Hopefully next year I'll be able to post more regularly.

    I'm glad you're excited for your upcoming wedding. May God bless you and your husband to be with a wonderful marriage.

    ReplyDelete